Saturday, August 07, 2004

Fascinating, Really

So then, first things first: I figured out how to get my title to show up! Yay! It's the small victories that count....
The other day, yesterday in fact, I was reading the paper (which is not too strange since I work there), and I came across a very funny picture - it's of an old man (82 to be exact) and he's pole-vaulting. I'll wait a minute for that to sink in. Yes, I did say pole vaulting. At a track and field meet. Who does track and field when they're 82?!? A lot of people, as it turns out. (Well, they're not all 82, but a lot of them are 60-80ish). And they all competed in the United States masters track and field meet in Decatur Ill. recently. Among them was a lady who's known as Granny . What a fascinating person...
Speaking of which, I've had so many great conversations with people lately. At restaurants, at work, over the phone, at home.....and it struck me that everybody has a story (channeling a little Amanda Marshall here). And while most people don't make the paper for doing extraordinary things, that doesn't mean that they are any less interesting. If I should ever be an author, I think I would like to go around talking to people, and then write a book with all of their stories; the stories about the "ordinary" people that you meet every day.




No comments: