Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Dreaming

Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. --Ralph Waldo Emerson



The sermon this past Sunday was about dreams. Not the kind of dreams you have at night, but the dreams people have for their lives. It was the kind of inspirational message that shakes you awake, and reminds you that there is more to life than what you are living right now. Pastor Dean challenged us to take some time to figure out what our dreams are, and then to pursue them. For some people this is easy; they have always had a great, overriding ambition to do a particular thing. For others, like me, it's harder to figure out exactly what your dream might be. Sort of. When I quiet my thoughts, when I still myself, it's like there's this whole other world that opens up to me. And then it seems that my dream is right there in front of me, in caps lock and bold, underlined, with multiple exclamation marks. But that quietness is hard to hold onto. Before long the "real" world crowds back in - there's laundry and other various housework that needs to be done; supper to start; groceries and birthday presents to be bought; decisions to be made. Oh ya and I should probably exercise, too.

But despite all these distractions, I'm trying to take some time this week to be quiet, to think about what kind of dream God has given me. To think about the fact that every person is unique, and has something that they are destined to do. And when I think about it that way; that in the whole scheme of things I have been cast for a very specific part; then it seems pretty important that I figure out what that thing is. Because whatever IT is, it's the reason for my being here. And I just don't want to miss it.

No comments: