Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Hills

Today I ran my first set of hills.
In my half-marathon training plans there were several weeks of scheduled hill training - running up and down hills to build endurance. (I imagine non-runners who think running is a bit pointless already shaking their heads over the idea of running up and down the same hill over and over.) Being a bit on the lazy side when it came to my training, however, I never ran one set. I didn't think there were any hills near enough to my house and I didn't want to have to drive somewhere just to go running.
Recently though, I noticed that the block between Kingsmere and Acadia Drive is a good little hill. (Not sure how I overlooked that one, as I drive it almost every day.)
So tonight I ran. Choking on exhaust at times, but I ran. (I think I may have to start running in the morning to avoid inhaling so many traffic fumes.) And it felt good.
All in all it was a 41 min run that felt like 15 minutes.
I'm thinking about running a 10k in early October and would love to break the 1 hour mark. For middle-of-the-pack runners like myself, 1 hour is kind of a benchmark time. I don't think I'm fast enough yet, but with a month of training I'm hoping to be able to shave off those extra minutes.

No comments: