Monday, March 28, 2005

Thoughts Before Bed...

So I've been working out to country music lately. Yoga and Faith Hill. Seems like an odd combination, but it works.




I've decided (again) only to read good books. Now that should go without saying, but I'm the kind of person who feels like they need to finish a book once they've started. As if it's the cardinal sin to put down a book half-read knowing that you will never pick it up again. This decision came about while reading "The Roommating Season" by Rona Jaffe. I was incredibly disappointed with it, and read 100 pages before tossing it aside. When a main character suddenly dies and the reader couldn't care less, it's not worth the time. I had previously read (and own) Jaffe's novel "The Road Taken," which was superb. I suppose because it dealt with more serious and somewhat controversial subjects, (if I remember correctly), it held my attention quite easily. It seemed worthwhile.
And so on to the next novel I went, and I'm enjoying this one considerably more. It falls perfectly between the books about nothing, and the ones that steal your emotions and entangle you so completely in their story that you grieve and laugh and live alongside the characters. (I recently finished such a book and will write about it tomorrow.)
For now, though, I will continue reading "The Good People of New York," by Thisbe Nissen, and leave you with this quote from it:

"...she wonders if that's just what growing up is: the process of that space
between you and your self getting bigger and bigger and bigger until one can't
see the other anymore, and you don't remember what it was like to be a kid, or
what it was like to want something so badly that you can't ever imagine not
wanting [it], least of all imagine wanting something and not knowing what that
something is."

No comments: